The Montessori School of Iowa City is a non-sectarian, private independent school. We are a 501(c)(3) organization governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees. As one of the oldest Montessori schools on the continent, we celebrated our 50th birthday in 2012. We are an Associate School Member of the American Montessori Society.
Lakshmi Kripalani, who was trained by Dr. Maria Montessori in India, was recruited by telegram in 1962 to start our first Primary (3 to 6 years old) class. Time magazine had recently published an article about the revival of Montessori in the United States. In 2000, we expanded our programs to include Elementary (6 to 12 years old) classes.
To provide authentic Montessori education that serves the child’s intrinsic motivation to learn and is inclusive, sustainable and holistic.
- We value the Montessori educational philosophy which includes
- A child’s intrinsic motivation to learn
- Excellence in teaching the whole child customized to the student’s intellectual, social, emotional, physical and spiritual needs and abilities
- We value respect for and appreciation of
- Diversity in all its forms
- The individual, self, others and the environment
- We value the entire school community, including students, families, faculty and staff within the larger global community.