The Iowa City Police Department is seeking qualified individuals to fill the volunteer position of Police Chaplain.
This position requires approximately 10 hours of service per month as well as some on-call time. Applicants must be recognized clergy from within their denomination and pass a background check.
The Iowa City Police Chaplain Corps is a volunteer service consisting of vowed men and women who support and assist the community. Chaplains will interact with victims, their families, and officers. Chaplains maintain a presence at the Iowa City Police Department through monthly chaplain meetings, attendance at department events, ongoing training, and riding with officers on patrol. In addition, Police Chaplains assist with the following responsibilities when called upon:
- Provide general assistance to victims
- Assist with death notifications
- Assist at suicide incidents
- Provide for spiritual needs of those in the community
- Visit sick and injured ICPD employees
- Provide officer benediction at special occasions when asked
- Liaison with other community clergy
Iowa City Police Department
Attn: Detective Zach Murguia
410 E. Washington St.
Iowa City, IA 52240
Questions about the position can be directed to Police Chaplain Liaison, Detective Zach Murguia at 319-356-5276 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.