As part of the City of Iowa City’s longstanding Rummage in the Ramp resale event – the City is offering an opportunity to “redo” a donated item and win some cash too!
The Rummage ReDux Challenge is an opportunity to transform used items found at Rummage in the Ramp from serviceable to spectacular, all while competing for a top prize of $300.
Rummage in the Ramp is a reuse sale organized by the City of Iowa City and staffed by local non-profit groups. This annual event helps divert tons of items from the landfill, with proceeds benefiting groups that volunteer their time to help. The 2017 event is scheduled for Wednesday, July 26 through Thursday, Aug 3, 2017 at the Chauncey Swan Parking ramp, 415 E Washington Street, located across from City Hall.
How the challenge works:
- Purchase an item(s) from Rummage in the Ramp anytime during the event starting Wednesday, July 26
- Complete a contact form at the sales trailer so staff can keep you informed about Rummage Redux schedules
- Snap photos of your item during the transformation process
- Track the total cost and time spent on your project
- Showcase your project at the Rummage ReDux Challenge event on Wed., Aug. 2 at 5:30 p.m.
- Create and show a storyboard that includes before and during photos, your cost and time invested, as well as your contact information
- The judges will visit with you and make their award decisions by 7 p.m. that evening
Judges will evaluate projects based on: imaginative reuse and overall improvement, quality of work, ability to be completed affordably and within a reasonable time period, and presentation and thoroughness of the storyboard. First, second and third place will all take home cash prizes.
For more information about the Rummage ReDux Challenge, contact Public Art Program Coordinator Marcia Bollinger at 319-356-5237 or Marcia-Bollinger@iowa-city.org.
To learn more about Rummage in the Ramp, and to see the 2017 event schedule visit icgov.org/rummageintheramp.